About Santa Clara Lions FC
The Santa Clara Lions FC (football club) is a competitive soccer club affiliated with the Santa Clara Youth Soccer League. The Lions FC program is designed to provide early soccer player development, an affordable competitive soccer solution, and opportunities for players to progress to the premier Santa Clara Sporting Club. Our teams compete in Cal-North and NorCal Premier soccer leagues and local soccer tournaments.
- Tryout Registration - please click here
- Tryout Waiver Form - Parent/Guardian must download, sign and bring to tryout
- Tryout Flyer - download
Tryout Evaluation Process
Competitive soccer teams are organized by birth year. We are holding tryouts for players with a birth year between 2004-2010 (U8 - U13).
Players are evaluated and selected by our coaching staff for SC Lions FC Teams at these open-tryouts.
Our coaching staff will be on-hand to assess players in attendance according to the following criteria:
- Mental Strength (player focus, attitude and effort demonstrated)
- Physical Ability (speed, athleticism, agility and endurance)
- Technical Competence (ball skills)
- Tactical Awareness (offense and defensive skills in game situations)
- Positive Attitude (towards players, officials, coaches and parents)
Upon the completion of tryouts, our staff will prepare a final list of players, with team assignment. A SC Lions staff member will contact each candidate’s family within 7 days of the completion of the final tryout. Notifications will be made regardless of whether or not your player will be offered a place on a team. Please ensure you attend the tryout on January 7th.
The Santa Clara Lions FC program requires an annual commitment, teams will play both a spring and fall season. Teams will be formed based upon ability and during the year players will be evaluated to ensure they are playing at the appropriate level for their own personal development.
Santa Clara Lions FC players will be challenged to develop their skills based upon age appropriate criteria. Our staff will use a dynamic, evolving coaching methodology with a focus on fundamentals (passing, receiving, dribbling) and age-appropriate training, including fitness, strength & flexibility, and nutrition. Each team will have a volunteer head coach who will work alongside a paid professional trainer to provide seasonal training sessions and deliver appropriate curriculum content to the players. Santa Clara Lions FC will provide ongoing education and evaluations for all its staff to ensure high coaching standards are met.
The Santa Clara Lions calendar will generally run as follows:
- March 6th - June 11th Team Training 2x/week (Includes up to 10 league games and at least one tournament)
- August 14th - November 19th Team training 2x/week (Includes up to 10 league games and at least one tournament)
The Practice schedule will be released after teams are selected and all practices and home games will take place on Santa Clara fields. Away games and tournaments will take place in surrounding Bay Area towns.
Program Fees for Santa Clara Lions FC Teams
The projected annual SC Lions program fees for 2017 are approximately $1,000 per player and are inclusive of the following:
- Team training during the defined fall and spring seasons, as outlined above
- Professional trainer fees, once a week (based on the schedule above)
- Professional trainer fees for up to five league games per season.
- Entrance fees to two tournaments and trainer fees.
- League registration fees (Cal-North or NorCal Premier) and all spring/fall league games.
- All associated field usage, field maintenance and field equipment fees.
- Referee fees, for all league home games.
- General costs of operating the program.
Fees are split into two categories, Club fees and Training fees.
Club Fees are $350 per year and are split into two payments of $175. These payments are scheduled on the following days:
- First Installment: $175 January 20th, this secures your player’s place in the program.
- Second Installment: $175 July 10th.
Training Fees are $650 a year and split into the following payments and dates.
- $200 on March 10th
- $250 on June 10th
- $200 on August 10th
Additional Fees and Optional Costs for all Players
All Santa Clara Lions FC players and teams (new and returning) are required to purchase the new Puma uniforms for the 2017 Spring Season. The uniform cost is approximately $120 and will last approximately two years depending upon how fast your child grows.
Additional Team Training, Individual or Small Group Training Sessions
These sessions can help accelerate player development and are available for additional fees. Please contact us for more details.
We do not want to leave any child behind that has both a strong desire to play competitive soccer, and is also a student with B Grade Average report card or 3.0 GPA. A financial assistance program is available here.
Santa Clara Lions FC Contacts
Gabe Foo, SCYSL Vice President, firstname.lastname@example.org
Martyn Webster, SCYSL Treasurer, email@example.com